In recent years, the variety of rifle scopes on the market has increased significantly. With so many options, it can get very difficult to narrow down your choices. So, how can you decide which scope to buy for your rifle? Continue reading; we have browsed through many rifle scopes and selected a few of the best that you can find on the market.
Since rifle scopes can differ, there are some key things to look for. They include:
Size matters—for rifle scopes, at least. The larger the objective lens, the more light that will be able to enter it. In turn, this will lead to a much clearer and brighter image. Typically, once the size of the objective lens is large, the magnification is high. If you will need to see very far ahead, opt for a rifle scope with a larger lens.
Also, note that the weight of the scope will be affected by the size of the objective lens. The larger the lens, the heavier the scope. This may end up affecting the weight of your rifle as well as its balance.
This is closely related to the size of the lens and it is a very important feature that you need to decide on before you purchase your rifle scope. The further you expect your shooting distance to be, the greater the magnification that you will need.
Although lower magnifications, such as 4X and 6X, can enable quick shooting and better tracking of targets, they are not the best option for shooting at long ranges. One of the best compromises that you can make if you are conflicted, is to get a rifle scope that has variable magnification.
If this is your first rifle or rifle scope, you may be wondering what a reticle is. It is the lines or dots that you will see in the center of your lens that indicates the center of your focus. Since there are so many types of rifle scopes, there are also many varieties of reticles. However, some types are more common than others.
The most common is the duplex reticle. It is very useful for hunting and shooting targets. Another type that has been gaining popularity is the BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle. It is more suited for long-range shooting and what’s great about it is that you won’t have to make any adjustments to the elevation of the scope settings.
There are two different focal planes that you can chose from—the first focal plane (FFP) and the second focal plane (SFP). FFP have reticles that change in size based on the magnification being used.
On the other hand, the size of SFP reticles stay the same regardless of the magnification you use. Which one is better for long-range shooting? The FFP reticle. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to see the SFP when the magnification is low. If you only have one rifle, it may be better to use a rifle scope that has FFP reticles so you will be able to see it despite the magnification you select.
Parallax error can cause you to miss while you are shooting. So, what is it? Parallax error occurs when the reticle and target no longer line up once you have shifted your head. Although there is usually no parallax in scopes that have a low magnification, it is usually an issue once you are shooting from very far distances. Sometimes you will see a feature on the scope called the side focus; it is the same thing as parallax correction.
How could we list all these features without including the price? There are so many manufacturers and distributors out there that continue to hike the prices of the items they sell.
Don’t get drawn into the lure of a high-priced rifle scope that lacks features. It is always good to make sure that you get good value for your money. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a rifle scope, make sure it is truly high end, and not just a regular scope with a ridiculously high price.
Monstrum Tactical 3-9×32 AO Rifle Scope
This Monstrum Tactical Rifle Scope is a fantastic device to own. It is ideal for the shooter who likes to make far-ranging shots and you can adjust both the objective lens as well as the magnification to make your target clearer and reduce parallax error.
- Adjustable magnification (3X-9X)
- Targets object 300 yards and more
- Red and green adjustable reticle (5 brightness levels)
- Objective lens is adjustable
- Range finder reticle
- Material: aircraft grade 6061 aluminum
- Elevation adjustment dials
- Water resistant and fog-resistant tube
- The magnification of the lens can be adjusted
- There are two color options for the reticle and the brightness can be adjusted
- The tube is water resistant and won’t get foggy
- You can use the range finder to compensate for bullet drop or estimate range
- The objective lens is adjustable to allow sharper images
It’s not very good for short-range shooting
At such a reasonable price, you should consider purchasing this rifle scope if you are a long-range shooter. With all the features it contains, it certainly seems to be a good buy.
UUQ 4-16x50EG AR15 Tactical Rifle Scope Red/Green Illuminated Range Finder Reticle
With so many features, this UUQ Tactical Rifle Scope sets you up for success no matter what your target is. It has several adjustable features that help you to focus better on your target, ensuring that you get a very clear view of what you are about to shoot. You won’t even have to worry about mounting on your rifle either; it already has a built-in rail so you can mount it very easily.
- Weight: 750g
- Length: 323mm
- 50mm objective lens
- Adjustable magnification (4X-16X)
- 35mm reflex lens
- Adjustable and illuminated reticles
- Built-in rail for rifle attachment
- Elevation adjustments and windage
- Waterproof and shockproof
- It is both waterproof and shockproof so it won’t easily be damaged
- It can be used for moving targets, rapid firing or just normal shooting
- The reticle has adjustable illumination for easy viewing, plus there are different sizes to choose from
- There’s a built-in rail so it can be mounted easily on your rifle
- You can adjust the magnification to view different distances
It is only good for shooting targets up to 100 yards
Although this rifle scope will not enable you to focus properly on targets that are a far distance away, it is great for short-range shooting.
Vokul Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot Open Reflex Sight
As an experienced shooter, you may not need a rifle scope that magnifies your target. However, thisVokul Tactical Red Dot rifle scope may be useful for you to see clearer images for objects that are a far distance away. This scope offers very visible reticle patterns so you can aim at your targets much better. With the brightness control, you can even determine how bright your images look.
- 4 different reticle patterns
- Brightness adjustment
- Built-in mount (22mm rail)
- Magnification: 1X
- Objective lens: 24 x 34 mm
- Weight: 4.2 oz.
- Length: 3.25”
- 8m field of view at 100m
- Material: anodized aluminum
- You can choose the reticle style that is most visible to you
- It offers good eye relief and a good field of view
- The brightness of the image can be adjusted with the rheostat knob
- There is a mount already attached to the scope
The rifle scope does not magnify objects; it just gives a clearer view for the shooter
For a red dot rifle scope, this product really does deliver on functionality. And, for a very inexpensive price, this rifle scope can be yours. It can help you to identify your targets easier before you fire your weapon.
Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9×40 BDC
When you talk about durability and high quality in a rifle scope, you’re likely referring to the Nikon Buckmasters BDC rifle scope. Nikon and Buckmasters really pulled out all the stops for this one. Whether you love to shoot from far distances or you prefer to take closer shots, this rifle scope can provide you with a clear view of your target.
- 100% waterproof, shockproof and fog proof
- BDC reticle
- 92% anti-reflective lens
- Adjustable reticle
- Weighs 1.4 pounds
- Suitable for long- and short-range shooting
- All the glass surfaces are anti-reflective
- The reticle can be adjusted based on the distance of your target
- It has a very generous eye relief
- It is fog proof, waterproof and shockproof
It is a bit expensive.
Although this Nikon Buckmasters BDC rifle scope is a bit on the expensive side, you will definitely get your money’s worth if you purchase it. Whether your target is near or far, this scope will give you the perfect view so you can make an accurate shot.
Pinty 2.5-10×40 AOEG Red Green Illuminated Mil-dot Tactical Rifle Scope
For a very reasonable price, you can purchase this Pinty AOEG rifle scope. It is made of very durable materials and has an objective lens that is well coated so it will prevent reflections as you look through it. No matter what type of weather conditions you use this scope in, you should not experience any problems with it. Since it is waterproof and fog proof, you will always be able to see your target very clearly.
- Material: aluminum alloy
- Weight: 20.5 oz.
- Fog proof and waterproof
- Magnification: 2.5X-10X
- Mil-dot reticle
- Objective lens: 40mm in diameter
- Multi coated objective lens
- Illuminated reticle with 5 brightness levels (red and green)
- The reticle can be adjusted for clearer viewing
- It has elevation and windage adjustment
- The coatings on the objective lens will prevent reflections and glare
- You can use it in different weather conditions since it is waterproof and fog proof
It is best for short-range shots only
This is a pretty decent scope for the price. They haven’t packed a lot of bells and whistles into it, but it does a very good job at helping to see targets that are some distance away. Plus, you have the option of adjusting the reticle so you can see it more easily depending on the range of your shot.
Hunting AR15 Tactical Rifle Scope Combo C4-16x50EG
The Hunting AR15 Rifle Scope is the most expensive product that we have added to this list, but it has some of the best features as well. It has a very wide range of magnification and is ideal for shooters who want to make both long- and short-range shots. It has very good eye relief too. Plus, the reticle has different levels so you can choose whichever best suits you.
- Magnification: 4X-16X
- Material: T6061 aluminum
- 100% waterproof, shockproof and fog-proof
- Adjustable windage and elevation
- Green and red reticles (5 different levels)
- 50mm objective lens
- Integrated rails
- The rails on the scope provides space for attaching other accessories
- It has a long eye relief
- The magnification is adjustable so you can use it for both near and far shots
- It has a detachable laser sight
It is expensive
If you have a bit of money to spend on a rifle scope, this device should be high on your list of options. With all the features it has to offer, it may just improve your hunting. Plus, you can easily use it at night with a flashlight attached.
UTG 3-9×32 1” BugBuster Scope, AO, GDB Mil-dot, QD Rings
The UTG Bugbuster Scope is smartly designed with a small 1” tube that has an adjustable objective lens. You can easily spot your target from a close range or from far away. It even has a sun shade to block direct rays from the sun that may impede your vision.
- Red and green mil-dot reticle
- Adjustable objective lens
- Shock proof
- Fog proof
- 2” sun shade
- The objective lens can be adjusted for viewing objects that are as close as 3 yards away
- It has a very good eye relief
- You can use the rifle scope even when it is raining
- It has a very large field of view
The range of view extends to about 600 yards.
For such a reasonable price, it is amazing that you can get all these features in a rifle scope. Whether you are aiming for something near or far, you should be able to have a clear view of your target.
CVLIFE Tactical 3-9×40 Optics R4 Reticle Crosshair Air Sniper Hunting Rifle Scope with Free Mounts
At less than a pound, this CVLIFE rifle scope has all the features that you would ever need in a scope, and it even comes with a free mount. Because of its size and characteristics, you can use this scope on many types of rifles. The lenses are scratch resistant, plus they have a coating that helps you to see clearly through them even when the rays of the sun are shining directly on them.
- 2” in length
- Objective lens diameter: 1.57”
- Magnification: 3X-9X
- Material: aluminum alloy
- Windage and elevation adjustment
- 20mm mount
- Weight: 0.76 lbs.
- Scratch-resistant glass
- Multicoated glass
- Fog proof
- All the exterior lenses of the scope are scratch resistant
- The objective lens has a large diameter to allow a lot of light to enter
- The magnification can be adjusted depending on the distance of your target
- It is both rainproof and fog proof
It may not be the ideal scope for viewing targets at a far distance
You get a lot of features in this rifle scope. In addition to the many adjustable features, you won’t have to worry about using it if it is raining. Moreover, the diameter of the lens enables you to see very clear images of your target.
Simmons 511039 3 – 9x32mm .22Mag(R) Matte Black Riflescope
This is one of the least expensive rifle scopes that made it to our top-10 list. Why? At this price, it is truly a wonderful piece of equipment. Whether you are a long-range shooter or you prefer closer targets, the Simmons 511039 3 can deliver on clarity of image, and it can cover a very good range of distance.
- Parallax correction
- HydroShield lens coating
- 75” of eye relief
- Wide field of view
- Triplex reticle
- Weight: 10.8 oz.
- Adjustable elevation and windage
- Simmons SureGrip rubber surface
- The eye relief is very good so it won’t easily tire your eyes
- It is very inexpensive
- The lens is coated to prevent reflection and glare
- The objective lens is adjustable for near and far viewing
The reticle is not adjustable and it only has one color
There are not a lot of bells and whistles on this Simmons rifle scope, but it does pack a lot of unexpected features for this price point.
Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope, 1 x 25mm (tilted front lens)
The Bushnell Red Dot Sight rifle scope helps you to spot your target very easily. It does not magnify the target that you are aiming for, but it helps to give a better sightline. Sun is not an issue when you look through this lens. There is a very high-contrast coating on the lens that helps to make your target easier to view.
- High-contrast coated lens
- Unlimited eye relief
- Length: 2.4”
- Weight: 3.7 oz.
- 25mm objective lens
- The lens is multi-coated to enable better viewing of targets
- It has very good eye relief so it won’t tire your eyes
- You can use it in a variety of weather conditions
The lens cannot magnify objects
Bushnell has created a very reliable and high-performing red dot rifle scope. It is made of some of the most durable materials, and it is very helpful in acquiring targets at various distances.
Is there such a thing as the perfect rifle scope? Perhaps not. Since every shooter will not have the same needs, rifle scopes don’t come in a one-size-fits-all package. However, if we had to pick our favorite scope from this top-10 list, it would have to be the Nikon Buckmasters BDC rifle scope. It really has a lot of features that are ideal for both long- and short-range shooters.